Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Church in China

I hope that I never take for granted actually going to church ever again.  For those of you who don’t know, this is how church works for me over here in China….

I am part of a virtual branch.  The Central China International District Branch, to be exact.  It functions just like any other branch in the church would function; except for it is all virtual.  “Going” to church for me now consists of me sitting on my couch and logging onto Skype.  Yes, you heard me right.  I Skype into church.  It isn’t a video Skype, just one big conference call.  Before I came to China, I decided that I would still treat sitting on my couch and listening to church like I was “going” to church.  That meant that I would still get up and get ready and not just lounge in my pajamas even though no one was going to see me.  I am glad that I decided that before I came here because the temptation to just lie on my bed and listen to church is definitely there. 

There are actually four of us that meet together in our little apartment to participate in church every Sunday.  There is me, Shelby, and then married couple that is here teaching at the school with us.  Other than all of it being over a conference call, it is just almost just like a normal church service would be at home.  All four of us struggle through the Hymns that are statically played over the computer speakers.  We all participate in sustaining and releasing people from callings.  (There is a slight difference with this one.  If anyone opposes, then they are to text the Branch President.)  We still get to partake of the Sacrament because we, luckily, have a Priesthood holder with us.  There is an eight minute pause in the meeting for the passing of the Sacrament.  After that, the meeting goes on as scheduled.  If you are giving a prayer or a talk, you just unmute your microphone, make sure that people can hear you, and then proceed with the prayer or your talk.  Oh yes, make sure your microphone is muted or things can get out of hand pretty fast. 

Every Sunday before the meeting actually begins they remind us of the regulations that we meet under.  Like how you have to have a foreign passport in order to attend the Branch and how we can’t share the gospel in conversation with Chinese nationals.  (Which I have actually found to be very hard.  There are so many good people here who are prepared to here the gospel but that is a post for another day.)  Church is only two hours long, instead of three.  We alternate Priesthood/Relief Society and Sunday School every Sunday.  We stay on after the line for a few minutes and do a role call to see who attended church.  I think that it is safe to say that virtual branches actually work quite well. 

And that is what I love.  I loved it when we could go to church in a different state and it was the same thing being taught but “going” to church in a different country, and virtually, brings a new perspective to it all.  I love that the gospel is the same no matter where you are.  Whether you are at your home ward in a completely different country you can find comfort knowing that you will get the same lesson in Relief Society and the same doctrines are going to be taught during Sacrament meeting.  I love it.  I love that, even though I am in a country where we can't freely share the gospel, I can still "go" to church and feel the same spirit that all of you are feeling in meeting houses all over.  At first it was really weird putting a dress on and sitting on my couch while I get the Sacrament passed to me in our bright orange cups but it isn't at all weird anymore.  It is totally normal and it is awesome.  It is awesome because I get the chance to renew the covenants that I made at baptism every week.  It is awesome because no matter where you are or what the circumstances are, you can still feel of the spirit.  Yes, it may be hard to pay attention because you are in the comfort of your own home but I do know that it is worth it and it is possible.  

With that being said, I will admit that I do actually miss "going" to church.  There really is something about meeting together and assembling together in one heart and one mind.  There is power in numbers.  I felt it as I was watching the General Relief Society meeting early one Sunday morning while everyone else was watching it Saturday evening.  When I saw everyone gathered together in the conference center I wished that I were there too.  Then when they welcomed everyone at that meeting at during the rest of General Conference who were participating all over the world.  That put a new meaning to things.  I mean, I always knew that people all over were watching conference but when you are part of what they are talking about it puts it all into a different perspective.  

Anyways... I hope that what I have said makes sense.  I have been wanting to post about church in China for a long time but I didn't know how to put what I was thinking and feeling into words.  I know that I probably didn't accurately describe what I am feeling but I hope that the gist of it is 

No comments:

Post a Comment