Friday, February 14, 2014

Another day in China

Everyday in China that passes without us getting stranded for the night is marked as a success in my book.  So, yes, Valentine's day in China was a successful one.

We started the day off feeling better about ourselves than we had the day before.  I mean, we made it home after having no clue if we were going to be able to, so it was great!

We went downtown to go exploring.  I wanted to find a scarf and Shelby was looking for a hat.  We got off at a random stop that looked promising.  Again, we were looking in all the wrong places for a scarf and a hat.  We are really good at that.  We did come across an awesome meat and vegetable market.  It was like nothing I have ever seen before.  There were all kinds of raw meat hanging from the ceiling including, but not limited to, an entire pig leg, chicken feet, birds, etc.






We wanted to try to find the supermarket the Nicole had taken us to a couple nights ago because there were some cute hats outside that Shelby wanted to look at.  We thought we were going to be able to find it but we were wrong.  We decided to try to ask for help and a nice girl took us to the supermarket but it was the wrong supermarket.  We didn't let her know that and were just grateful for her kind gesture.  People here are so nice and so willing to help you even if they don't understand what we need.  We ditched the supermarket idea and decided that we needed to celebrate Valentine's day by going to a super classy restaurant, Pizza Hut!  Classy, right?  Actually, in China, they are pretty nice restaurants.  We ordered a salad (fresh leafy greens was an amazing sight!!) and a pizza.  It was delicious.  When we were just finishing up our pizza the waiter brought us another pizza.  We tried communicating to her that the pizza wasn't ours and that we didn't order it but she insisted and just kept saying, "pizza, pizza, pizza" so we took it home with us.  I have no idea if we accidentally ordered that pizza or if we even paid for it but there was a huge language barrier and no one understood.


We then headed to Walmart again (yes, even in China we go to Walmart once a day...).  We wanted to grab a few snacks for our upcoming train ride.  On our way we passed this cute girl who was so excited to see us.  My family doesn't even get that excited to see me when I have been away for several months.  She jumped up and down with joy and excitement and frantically waved at us as we passed by.  I think she may have mistaken us for some celebrity or something like that.  She was awesome so we had to take a picture with her.


A couple random funny things happened as well...  There were a couple guys on motorcycles and I thought they wanted to take a picture with us.  I agreed but I guess he really wanted to give me a ride on his motorcycle.  As soon as I realized what I was agreeing to I quickly declined.  Also, a random car stopped us while we were walking.  He asked us if we wanted a ride and he wasn't a taxi.  It is so weird and random.  Don't worry, I feel completely safe here in China.  That is not a lie.  I don't feel like I am in any kind of danger no matter what time of the day it is or where I am at.  Well, that was pretty much the extent of our day.  Here are a few more pictures we took...




 They don't mess around with Valentine's Day.  These were the biggest bouquets I have ever seen.  And the night ended with so many fireworks!

No comments:

Post a Comment