Wednesday, February 19, 2014

I rode an elephant!

Kunming has been great so far!

Today we got up and actually had a real American breakfast for the first time since I have been to China.  It turns out that our hostel makes the best Western food.  So this morning I helped myself to some french toast and fruit.  I didn't realize how much I missed real breakfast food until today.  Did I ever mention that the Chinese people don't really believe in breakfast food?  I don't know about you, but I don't really want to be eating chicken feet and corn for breakfast...

We went to Dianchi Lake and to the Yunnan Ethnic Minority Villages after breakfast.  We went with a couple girls that we met at the hostel.  I love how you can meet people and the next day you are going on little trips with them.  This is how life should always be.  It is much more rewarding and you get to meet some incredible people.  Dianchi Lake wasn't anything spectacular but it was beautiful and it was full of seagulls.  I was actually pretty nervous that I was either going to get attacked or one of them was going to do a number on me...  Neither happened so all was well.

The Yunnan Ethnic Minority Villages were awesome!  It reminded me a lot of the Polynesian Cultural Center.  It was the same basic concept.  There were about 26 different replicated little villages from all around Yunnan.  Everything was incredible!  The best part was when I got to ride an elephant!  Yes, I did say that I got to ride an elephant.  I am happy to report that it is as great as it sounds.  It was way worth the 20 RMB that I had to pay.  (There is about 6 RMB to 1 US dollar).  Another one of my favorite parts was the elephant show.  Elephants are brilliant.  They could play the harmonica and even dance.  It was unreal.  The whole place with all of the villages was beautiful.  It was one of the best things I have done while I have been in China.

After that we came back to the hostel and had dinner and played cards with the two girls who we went to the villages with.  When you go to dinner with a native you will apparently eat soup with the entire fish in it.  Yes, the head and the fins were apart of this soup.  I am here to report that it was actually pretty good.  That is even coming from someone who doesn't like fish.  The two girls that we spent the day with are awesome and so much fun!  One girl, Esme, is from England and studied Chinese in college.  The other girl is a cute Chinese girl and only speaks Chinese.  It was quite funny trying to explain and play card games to someone who doesn't know English.  We had the best time and the best day.


(I know my eyes are closed but I thought the seagulls were going to attack me!)

(The four of us at Dianchi Lake)


(These noodles are a Yunnan specialty and they were so good!)





(I wasn't so sure about the taste of the coconut water.)













(Yes, I did eat this.)



No comments:

Post a Comment