Monday, February 24, 2014

Kunming, Yunnan

I am in love!  ...with China, that is.  This country is amazing.  The people, the history, the food, the landscape, etc.  There is nothing not to love about China.  Okay, I may be able to name a couple...  For example, everyone here spits all the time like it is their job or something.  Sometimes I am afraid if I walk too close to someone I may end up with someone else's spit on my shoe.  Or the fact that you are risking your life every time you cross the street.  Instead of hating it every time someone spits, I just think, "Wow, I could never spit like that.  They do it so well."  And instead of wondering if I am going to die whenever I cross the street, I just play real life Frogger.  I have succeeded every time so I am pretty sure I would be at least on level 200 by now.  Hopefully I keep winning because I probably only get one life instead of three...

I was lucky enough to go to Kunming this past week.  It was a blast!  The sun was shining and I even got a little sunburn on my face.  Life does not get better than that!

Some highlights from the trip were getting drawn by a Chinese man in the park, walking around the beautiful Green Lake multiple times, going to the Stone Forest, and eating a plate of bugs.  (Yes, bugs.  They actually didn't taste terrible but I couldn't get past the fact that I was eating bugs!)  I also got to ride an elephant and you can read about that here.




(Take note:  red Tulips are my new favorite flower.)










One night, Shelby and I decided to go walk around the lake.  It was such a different scene from when we were there the other day.  This time, instead of people selling things everywhere you turned, there was a different performance on every corner.  I enjoyed listening to the people singing and playing their guitars or the women dancing in the middle of an entire band complete with 15 instruments.  As we stood and watched the women dancing in the circle, the next thing we knew we were the ones in the circle dancing.  Those of you who know me, know that I can't dance so this was quite the show.  I am sure that it was pretty hilarious too.  One song ended and we tried to leave but nope, they actually stuck their red hats on us and motioned for us to dance some more.  I would like everyone to know that we danced to Jingle Bells.  This was not the first time I have heard this song played here in China.  I think I may need to introduce the Chinese to something a little bit better than Jingle Bells, especially because it isn't December...  After trying to escape five times, they finally let us go.  

When we got on the bus in Kunming heading to the train station the bus was crowded, us usual.  I also had my huge backpack on so when a seat did open up and opted to just stand.  Taking my backpack off was more of a hassle than what I was wanting to deal with.  (Some may call that pure laziness but in my defense, there wasn't anywhere to put it on the bus).  A man that was sitting in the seat next to the open seat insisted that I sit down.  So, reluctantly, I did.  He was very nice and we chatted a bit between my extremely poor, close to nothing, Chinese and his poor English.  He then pulled out his phone to take a picture of me.  I was fine with this because it happens multiple times a day.  The next thing I know he has his arm around me and he is putting his head on my shoulder.  Um... Okay, whatever, I could handle that.  Before I knew it he planted a big wet kiss right on my cheek.  Out of pure awkwardness I just laughed because I didn't know what else to do.  I brushed it off and just let it go.  Then once again he grabbed my face and tried to turn it towards his so that he could kiss me right on the lips.  Nope, I wasn't going to let that one happen.  Luckily, I saved myself and turned my head so he missed and got my cheek again.  I do have to admit that it was pretty funny but I felt so violated and it was extremely awkward.  All eyes were on me and everyone on the bus saw this, probably 50 year old, Chinese man kiss me, not once, but twice.  Oh China...

Life is really good.  China is really good.    

No comments:

Post a Comment