Wednesday, March 19, 2014

a little bit of Mexico

Yes, I just titled this post 'a little bit of Mexico'.  But I am in China...  Why would I be blogging about Mexico??  Good question and let me tell you...

If there is any one kind of food that I miss while I have been in China, it is Mexican food.  There is just something about a simple bean and cheese burrito, topped with cheese and fresh salsa.  Or how about a hot and steamy enchilada?  Or just plain chips and salsa?  Yumm.  There is nothing of that sort over here.  There is absolutely no cheese, except for the very expensive cheese in the important isle at Walmart.  You can't find any tortillas anywhere.  Disappointing, huh?  

Shelby and I got thinking the other day that we could make our own salsa.  They have all of the fresh ingredients and all we really needed to find were some tortilla chips.  I was willing to pay whatever the price to get my hands on some tortilla chips.  Lucky for us, there were some in the imported section!  You better believe that we bought them.  They may have been 30 RMB but, like I said, I was willing to pay that price.  We bought the fresh ingredients on the street and everything only cost 7 RMB total.  As soon as we got home we made that salsa that has been on our mind for a very long time.


Bringing a little bit of Mexico to China was much needed.  The chips may have already been a little stale but I didn't even care.  I guarantee that there will be some more salsa making in the near future.  

No comments:

Post a Comment