Wednesday, March 26, 2014

your life is a good life

Last night, I decided that I would go on a walk.  The other day, I walked down the river, found a place to sit down, and read my book.  It was so relaxing and a great view so I wanted to do it again.

I left my apartment, later than I had anticipated.  On my way out I ran into my friend, Lisa.  I had met her once before.  She grew up here in China but moved to California about 30 years ago.  She is back now to take care of her father who is suffering from dementia.   When I saw Lisa walking slowly around the courtyard with her dad, I quickly changed my plans and walked with them.  I had a great conversation with her.  We talked about people who have dementia, her dad in particular.  She shared with me how it is so hard for her because her dad doesn't remember who she is.  Her dad will ask her questions about her parents and it breaks her heart when she has to tell him that he is her dad.  My heart broke for her.  I shared with her my experiences being a Hospice Nurse.  I told her that I know that it has to be hard for her but I know that she is doing the right thing, taking care of her dad.  I shared with her other experiences and told her how my grandpa also suffered from Alzheimer's.  I could tell that she was hurting and that she just needed someone to confide in.  I am grateful that I left my apartment later than I was planning on.  Maybe that was the Lord's hand in this situation.  I think so.

Being in China, so many people have reached out to help me.  I haven't really ever felt like I have been able to help someone in their desperate time of need since I have been here, like people do for me on a daily bases.  Tonight, I am grateful for the opportunity I had to talk to Lisa because maybe that is just what she needed that day.  I know I didn't say anything magnificent to her but I was there listening and sometimes that is just what people need.  I wanted so badly be to able to share with her my beliefs.  I wanted to share with her the knowledge that I have that we don't have to suffer alone.  We can find peace and safety in our Heavenly Father.  I wanted to share with her that she will be able to see the dad that she grew up with again someday.  I wanted her to know the plan of salvation.  But I couldn't.  I couldn't share it with her because I am in China.  The day will come when we will be able to but right now I can just share and testify through my example.  I pray everyday that the light of Christ will shine through me and will touch the lives of the people that I associate with here.  My actions have to speak louder than anything else because we can't share what we believe with our mouths.

When I finished talking with Lisa, I found a bench and began reading Work and the Glory.  Not even five minutes after I had sat down, a cute little Chinese man sat down right next to me.  He spoke to me in Chinese and I kindly told him that I didn't understand what he was saying.  He continued anyways, speaking in Chinese and pointing to my book.  I responded, in English, and asked him if he wanted me to read to him.  He answered back, in Chinese, so I really have no idea what his response was.  I took whatever he said as a yes and began to read to him.  Obviously he didn't understand.  (Yes, I read him Work and the Glory which probably isn't allowed but he didn't understand me anyways.)  He talked to me some more and I responded back in English.  This went on for a good five minutes.  He then pointed to my book again so I read to him some more.  He then said something and motioned to his apartment and for me to come with him.  So I did.  On second thought... I shouldn't get into the habit of following random strangers into their apartment...  I figured that, even though I am not a runner, I could run faster than him.  He was old and weak, so I am sure I could beat him up too, if it came down to that.  Luckily, it didn't.  So I continued to follow him into his apartment.  He offered me coffee and tea and thought I was crazy when I kindly declined both of his offers.  He sat me down on his couch with a bowl of candy in front of me.  He turned on the news.  We sat there and had a conversation that neither of us could understand.  He showed me pictures of his family and of him when he was younger.  He tried writing Chinese characters on a piece of paper for me, hoping that I would understand.  I so badly wished that I could.  He forced me to eat more candy as we sat and watched the news.  It was such a pleasant time.  After a little bit, I decided that I should probably get going.  I told him so, thanked him, and motioned to the door.  This old friend of mine wouldn't let me leave alone.  He got up and got his shoes back on and walked me home.  He was so sweet.  Even though neither of us spoke the same language, we were able to connect on a different level.  He taught me that me that we don't need words in order to form a friendship and communicate.


This is a picture from Shelby's birthday.  We went to dinner with these friends of ours and then we sung our hearts out at KTV.  For those of you who are not familiar with KTV, it is practically karaoke in a hotel room.  It rocks and it would do America good if they looked into this.  Yes, you are right, our friends now consist of people over the age of 30 but I wouldn't have it any other way.  Life is too short to not be friends with and watch the news with the old man in the tower next to you or to be friends with the successful business men that own their own restaurant.  Age doesn't matter, culture doesn't matter, language barriers don't matter, and our backgrounds don't matter.  All that matters is that we embrace where we are at in life, learn from those around us, and help those in need.  Friends will come and people you never would have thought will influence your life in many ways.  

No matter what, your life is a good life, so live it and love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment