Saturday, June 7, 2014

another weekend

I somehow made the school's poster again.  Awesome, right?  They should tell me when they are going to take pictures of me so I can make sure I actually do my hair.  It's rare that I do my hair here.  This is when I taught all of the first graders how to make fruit salad.  I taught them that you put mayo on fruit salad.  I know, disgusting.  I taught them completely wrong.  I hated it and it took all of the power in me to teach them this.  The school made the powerpoint for me.  They should burn that powerpoint because fruit salad with mayo really is the grossest thing ever.  It is up there with tofu.  And we all know how much I hate tofu.  Maybe the next foreign teacher will have the guts to stand up for fruit salad and tell the school that isn't how it is done.



This week we were out killing some time waiting for the street market where we wanted to eat dinner at get all set up.  We felt bad hovering so we walked up and down the street.  We stumbled across some children playing with a Chinese jump rope!  Yeah, I couldn't believe it either.  I had one of these when I was a kid.  Except for mine was green.  I didn't know it was actually a Chinese thing.  It made my heart happy and I kind of wanted to join them but I knew that I was no where near as good as they were.  



Also, at this street market where we got dinner, the kindest man bought our food.  Just because.  No reason at all.  Well, maybe the reason was because we were foreigners.  He tried to talk to us and we did our best, which wasn't good.  Then out of the goodness of his heart he paid for our meal.  Nice guy.

This week we got to perform the Chinese piano in a performance at the school.  The other teachers that were here with us were suppose to do it because the performance was with their students but they decided to go home early so Shelby and I were the lucky ones that got to do the performance.  The Chinese piano isn't really like the piano.  It is more like the harp, kinda.  It was fun to learn and it was fun to be around the older students for a change.  We killed it during the performance.  Actually, we really didn't.  I messed up terribly but it didn't matter because we were playing on top of a recording of it.  We could have just pretended to play it the entire time and no one would have known.



Funny story...  A couple months ago we met this guy while we were out with our friend Emma.  His name is Sunny.  He is older.  Not old, just older than me.  Probably around 40.  (but I am terrible at guessing Asians ages so I could be way wrong.)  Anyway, when we met him he bought us some sushi.  Shelby claims that he was just talking to me but clearly we were both standing there and I say he was talking to the both of us.  He got our number.  I assume people just know that Shelby and I share the phone.  So when he asked for my number, I assumed he was asking for our number.  When people invite us to do something, I assume they are inviting the both of us because we are practically glued at the hip.  Everyone should know that.  Ever since we met him, which was seriously like two months ago, he has constantly been asking us (or I assumed it was us and not just me) to do something with him.  We keep declining because it just hasn't ever worked out.  This past weekend was different.  We had no plans and were feeling pretty friendless.  (I think our friends don't want to be friends with us anymore because we are leaving.)  So when Sunny asked us if we had some spare time, we talked about it and decided okay.  We would go do something with Sunny.  Yeah, maybe it was strange hanging out with a 40 year old guy but we both felt fine about it and I was pretty sure he just wanted to practice his English.  Wrong.  Dead wrong.  After kind of agreeing to hang out with him, he sent a text saying, "Tomorrow I want to ask you to play one day, such as hotel in the evening, ok?"  Woah.  A hotel??  What did he mean by that?  We weren't sure but a hotel is not exactly what we had in mind.  We quickly changed our mind about spending time with him.  So, we scrambled and made other plans with some friends, even though we are going to have to take a 3 hour bus ride to get there.  It was better than doing whatever Sunny had in mind.  We texted Sunny back and told him that something came up and we couldn't actually hang out with him.  He then said, "I like you."  And another one, "My dear."  One more, "Can be my girlfriend? Dear."  AHHHHHH.  No.  No.  Not at all.  I ignored those texts but he wouldn't stop.  He called and texted a few more times.  Finally, I had to break his heart.  I hope he got the hint.  If not, I am going to have to be a little more blunt with him.  I am sure that he is closer to my dad's age than my age.  I maybe saw him for a total of ten minutes and that is a generous ten minutes.  And he asked me to be his girlfriend over a text message.  Not cool, Robert Frost, not cool.

So instead of hanging out with Sunny, we went and hung out with Charm and Lily.  Of course, it was a good time.  I am sure going to miss these girls when it comes time to leave.  Speaking of leaving, Shelby and I were talking about how it is exciting and sad to leave all at the same time.  Definitely bittersweet.  And then my eyes started tearing up when I really thought about it.  I can't believe I am leaving so soon.  It breaks my heart.






{this little cave was "so dangerous" and they almost had a heart attack when I went inside it}



No comments:

Post a Comment